Let’s all go down the Strand (have a banana!). And let’s do it virtually with old photos, paintings, Google Earth street views, lots of stories and a few laughs on the way. You can even bring a banana.
The road called the Strand beside the River Thames is barely a mile long yet has so much to tell about the city.
It housed the riverside palaces of the Savoy, Somerset House and the Duke of Buckingham. There’s an Egyptian obelisk on the embankment built to house a huge sewer. Close by is Benjamin Franklin’s house, then there’s the bustle of Trafalgar square and the idyllic gardens of Temple where there’s a 900 year old Crusader church and close by, the Royal Courts of Justice.
We’ll learn some weird and curious things too … Like why were windows boarded up 250 years ago? Did Benjamin Franklin really want the turkey to be the bird symbol of the USA? Is there a streetlight powered by sewer smell? Or a pub split in half? How does a bridge clean itself? Why do the lions of Trafalgar Square have the paws of a cat? And then there’s Frank Sinatra singing to taxi drivers who told him to keep the day job. And what’s all this about bananas?
Intrigued? Join us for all this and more.
About this virtual tour:
£7 per person
60 – 75 minutes
Please note, start time is UK time
How to join the virtual tour:
- You’ll need a computer or tablet connected to the internet.
- Either download the Zoom app (free of charge) or get a Zoom account (again free of charge).
- On the morning of the tour, I will email or message you with the URL (website link) and Zoom Meeting ID and Passcode.
- Just sign in 5 minutes before the tour starts.
- Enjoy the tour. You can interact via video or chat, or you can just sit back and listen. It’s entirely up to you